To build on his skills and understanding of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), Victor Fenech is doing a two-week advanced internship in China this month. This is an opportunity to learn from some of China’s leading doctors in a small-group clinical program in the Shuguang and Longhua Hospitals in Shanghai where TCM is integrated into the hospital setting.
Victor and nine fellow interns will attend lectures and follow master clinicians on their hospital rounds. This is a rare opportunity to see first-hand patient interactions and have one-on-one discussions with the clinicians.
The hospital component covers Chinese herbal medicine and its application for a range of symptoms including gynaecological, respiratory, kidney and cardiovascular, and acupuncture for pain relief and neuromuscular disease.
Victor will have the chance to learn from leading TCM practitioners including:
- Professor Li Xiangyun, Director of Gynaecology at Longhua Hospital, who has 45 years of clinical experience and a special interest in infertility, endometriosis, menopausal syndrome, and sexual dysfunction.
- Professor Lin Jiang, Director of Gastroenterology at Longhua Hospital, who specialises in integrating TCM and Western medicine in treating gastrointestinal problems including ulcers, reflux, chronic gastritis, and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Professor Dou Danbo, Chief Physician at Shuguang Hospital and Director of Department of TCM at Shanghai University of TCM.
- Professor Pei Juan, Director of Acupuncture at Longhua Hospital, whose special interests include stroke rehabilitation, vascular dementia, tremor paralysis, facial nerve palsy, neuralgia, and immunosuppression diseases.
- Professor Lu Hao, Director and Chief Physician, Department of Endocrinology at Shuguang Hospital, who is focused on treating diabetes and diabetes-related conditions with TCM.
The TCM immersion is only offered to practitioners with a TCM doctoral degree or validated 5-year herbal clinical training experience, or who have completed the Level 1 Clinical Training.